Re: going to FC4

Paul Howarth wrote:
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 19:30 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

Steven C. Liu wrote:

Hi,

I have the FC4 DVD iso on my FC2 box. I don't have a DVD drive on that box. I can mount it as an iso9660 fs, but I can't figure out how to upgrade my FC2 system via that method. I bought an external USB DVD drive, but the system wouldn't boot to that drive. Yes, I can burn a DVD from my XP box. (I didn't play around with the BIOS...)

Burn your DVD, then go fetch Smart Boot Manager (SBM)
(http://btmgr.webframe.org/), stick it on a floppy and boot the floppy.
It'll let you boot from darn near any device you have, whether your BIOS
understands it or not.

SBM, IMHO, is a damned useful tool.

I think you missed the part where he said he didn't have a DVD drive on
that box?

Er, he said, "I bought an external USB DVD drive, but the system
wouldn't boot to that drive."  Hence my suggestion of SBM.

If you can put the DVD ISO on a separate partition (not LVM, not your
root partition), you should be able to do a hard disk install:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/sn-installing-from-harddrive.html

Yup, that's also possible.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -