Re: MySQL FC3

Dave Foran wrote:

I have a major issue of sorts ;-)

I have no idea what the password for root is
I have tried a a number of recommended edits to try and either delete or
replace the password but all have failed.

The rpm on FC3 CD will not permit removal as yum has updated the file
routine.  I d/l the currant rpm and it will not allow removal. It says,
this in not installed..

Any good thoughts short of re-installing everything and that is not a
viable idea..

I need I think a way to un-install mysql and do a clean install..

Any thoughts ??
Thanks
Dave

You can try booting from any rescue disc which allows mounting
of your root file system. Then edit the entry for root, which
should look like this:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

to replace the :x: with :0:, so it looks like this:

root:0:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

At that point, you should be able to save the file, and reboot
using your normal method. Login as root (use no password) immediately
and set a password.

Knoppix should work for this. I haven't used it specifically
for this purpose, but I have mounted my system from a Knoppix
boot.

Mike