MySQL FC3

I have a major issue of sorts ;-)

I have no idea what the password for root is
I have tried a a number of recommended edits to try and either delete or
replace the password but all have failed.

The rpm on FC3 CD will not permit removal as yum has updated the file
routine.  I d/l the currant rpm and it will not allow removal. It says,
this in not installed..

Any good thoughts short of re-installing everything and that is not a
viable idea..

I need I think a way to un-install mysql and do a clean install..

Any thoughts ??
Thanks
Dave