Re: New Age Music can kill FC4

Robert Cahn wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion about copy protection.  I now notice that
the disc has a logo on the back cover of the jewel box that says "Copy
Controlled".  Evidently whatever they do is good enough to defeat the
Sound Juicer app and screw up any attempt to mount the drive.  I
suspect that the drive can't figure out if it's an audio disc or a
data CD with real problems.

I'll just have to put this one in a regular old CD player and not the
CD-ROM drive.

Here in Europe we have these "play protection systems" for quite a while, and I simply do not buy these disks similar to an Audio CD anymore.

My old CD-player died a few months ago, so I "only" have:

- a Denon DVD player with superb sound quality
- a desktop computer with FC4
- a laptop FC4/WinXP
- a laptop SuSE 9.3/WinXP
- a portable CD/MP3-player
- a Blaupunkt CD/MP3-carsystem

And they _all_ have problems with one or the other "play protected" CD. So people either do not buy these any more, rip them (sometimes with tools for Windows) or get them through P2P - the last two options are illegal in some European countries.

With red-book standard CDs I have not experienced any problems on any Linux system I have used, and currently a CD is running here on FC4 (well, it is not "play protected").

And as you write: CD/DVD-players simply do not know what to make with these "play protected" CDs, and shops are taking them back now as well.

--
Regards
Markus Huber