Re: Poblem with Xorg and new hardware

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:23 +0200, Beppe G. wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 09:40 +0200, Beppe G. wrote:
> >

> >>Hi All.
> >>My m/b (Intel G915EV) ships with an integrated video adapter.
> >>I tried to install an external card cause I need more VRAM. So I plugged
> >>in an ATI Radeon X600pro PCI Express.
> >>Booting the system, FC4 recognize new adapter but the system freeze
> >>completely at X login (either KDE and Gnome),
> >>mouse and keyboard not responds and the only thing I can do is to reboot.
> >>Have you any idea for a such problem?
> >>
> >>Below you can see the xorg.cong automatically configured.
> >>

> >>Thanks
> >>

> >>Beppe
> >>

> >X is configured for the original adapter and the driver will not work
> >with the new adapter.
> >
> >boot to runlevel 3 (text login) and run
> >"system-config-display --reconfig"
> >This should auto detect the new adapter and properly configure the
> >driver to at least get it running.
> >
> >If you need the capabilities of the card to support 3d and other
> >advanced things, you will need to install the ATI drivers.
> >

> Thanks Jeff.
> Actually are you sure X is configured for the original adapter (Intel
> chipset)?
> If you look at the automatically created configuration below you can see
> a "correct" driver!
> Anyway I'll try to reconfigure it.

Oops, I did not see that.
However, it may be that driver or other config is not good enough for
the pci express card.  The --reconfig option does a complete rebuild of
the xorg.conf file without taking into account earlier settings so it
(theoretically) should properly setup X properly.

This does not always work perfectly.  I had to manually set the scan
rates for my flatscreen monitor in order to get the full 1600x1200
resolution to work.