Re: OT: Knoppix on a usb hard drive (dual purpose)

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 02:08 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
I'm in search of advice on hwo to realise my wishes.

I would like to setup a 40 GB external usb hard drive so that if plugged in normally, a FAT32 partion can been seen in any OS, which would have my multimedia and data.

But I would also like that if I'm in a pinch, I can connect the drive preboot, and with the BIOS's permission, boot to the ext. drive, and have a knoppix install bootup, autodetect the hardware as necessary, and allow me to access my data.

I'd also like to keep the a home dir on the knoppix install synced with my currect home dir in FC4. Possibly even have the KDE's look the same etc.

Should be possible if you just treat the USB drive as a regular disk,
i.e. make partitions on it, one a bootable Linux partition for Knoppix
and a FAT32 partition for data sharing.

Paul.
I am not yet familiar with partioning structures. Coudl you possibly suggest a partion structure to have this drive bootable , etc, with knoppix?

Also, it would be great If I coudl jstu clone my Fedora installation over to the drive. But how well does Fedora handle being bootup on totally diferent hardware than it was ont he last time it boot, as can be the situation ?

Thanks.