Re: Gui Yum -- Where?

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 12:30 PM -0500 7/5/05, Mike McCarty wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

Benjamin Sher wrote:

Is there a gui version of yum?

[snip]

kyum and yumex are both available in Fedora Extras for FC4 and can be
installed using yum install ...

For RHEL4 I would just stick to using up2date.

Paul.

I heard that there were several defects in up2date for FC4. Can anyone
verify?

I can.

The blue dot with the checkmark always presents that innocent-looking appearance. Even when updates are available on the channels on which up2date listens, that little blue checkmark doesn't change. I would have expected to see a throbbing read screamer ("exclamation point").

But the one time I launched up2date, it seemed to draw all the repo metadata on all channels that I had set up that way. A /repomd/ (repository metadata) channel follows the instructions given in a corresponding .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/. So you /can/ get updates. But you have to remember to launch up2date, or yum, or smart, every morning to stay up to date.

I use smart, myself. I took the tarball from http://www.smartpm.org/ and ran make and make rpm, and then I installed the rpm. That allows me to recognize smart as part of the rpm installed base. But I also have yumex, and yes, Fedora Extras /does/ have it.

I think smart is going to take over very rapidly. With it, I can set definite preferences for repositories that might create compatibility issues, make sure that compatibility conflicts do not occur, and even /repair/ any such issues that come about through the use of other packages. But the developer will need to write a script to put smart into the GNOME menu. (How /do/ you add something to the menus? I can add applications to panels, but not to menus--or rather, I'm missing the procedure for doing that.)

Temlakos