Re: VMWare -> Physical Box

Hi!

From: "Ryan D'Baisse" <ryan.dbaisse@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: VMWare -> Physical Box
How feasible do you think it would be to pull the contents from a VMWare
virtual drive onto a physical drive and have it function properly?  I have a
development VM that I use with FC4 and it works perfectly.  All of my apps
and settings are just right.  It would be great to be able to pull that VM
out of VMWare and make it live.

What OS do you run inside VMware? Windows or Linux?

If Windows it might work using a software like Norton Ghost. I think you can can mount a physical drive into VMware as a secondary drive. Then you would boot with the Ghost floppy disk and run an image copy from the virtual drive to the physical drive. However I dont think that Windows installation will boot then successfully because of the VMware drivers and I dont think a Windows Boot CD (W2K oder WXP) would bootfix this then... The last OS from Microsoft that was surviving motherboard changes best was NT 3.51 :-)

Linux should work though and you wont need Ghost. Booting with some linux rescue / live CD in VMware you would create partitions (boot, root) on the second drive and then mount the first harddisk, cp -ax the files from the virtual drive onto the physical one and then take care of the boot loader and the boot partition with the kernel image.

Any other OS i have no idea about :-)

Regards,
Philipp Ott