Re: Poblem with Xorg and new hardware

Jeff Vian wrote:

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 09:40 +0200, Beppe G. wrote:
Hi All.
My m/b (Intel G915EV) ships with an integrated video adapter.
I tried to install an external card cause I need more VRAM. So I plugged in an ATI Radeon X600pro PCI Express. Booting the system, FC4 recognize new adapter but the system freeze completely at X login (either KDE and Gnome),
mouse and keyboard not responds and the only thing I can do is to reboot.
Have you any idea for a such problem?

Below you can see the xorg.cong automatically configured.

Thanks

Beppe

X is configured for the original adapter and the driver will not work
with the new adapter.

boot to runlevel 3 (text login) and run "system-config-display --reconfig"
This should auto detect the new adapter and properly configure the
driver to at least get it running.
If you need the capabilities of the card to support 3d and other
advanced things, you will need to install the ATI drivers.

Thanks Jeff.
Actually are you sure X is configured for the original adapter (Intel chipset)? If you look at the automatically created configuration below you can see a "correct" driver!
Anyway I'll try to reconfigure it.

Beppe

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier     "Default Layout"
      Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
      InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

      RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
      FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
      Load  "dbe"
      Load  "extmod"
      Load  "fbdevhw"
      Load  "glx"
      Load  "record"
      Load  "freetype"
      Load  "type1"
      Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
      Identifier  "Keyboard0"
      Driver      "kbd"
      Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"