Re: Multitasking with K3b and other applications? -- Rev

Am Di, den 05.07.2005 schrieb Michael Schwendt um 11:54:

> > > When compiling a CD on K3b in Linux, can I run other applications? Or
> > > are the resources required to burn a CD such that I should run ONLY K3b?

> > I never heard that you "compile" a CD when you burn to a media ;)
>
> Well, "to compile a CD" [from individual files] is a quite common phrase,
> IMO. Creating the compilation is usually done prior to starting the
> burning process, which then either burns a compiled image or individuals
> files on-the-fly.

> Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ok, you are right. Checked now

http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&relink=on&sectHdr=on&spellToler=std&search=compile

and found "to compile a catalog" to be matching the process of preparing
what should be burned to disk. So if Benjamin asks for that task, it is
no problem at all to interrupt collecting the stuff and doing other CPU
or I/O intensive works with the machine. I think he means the post
compilation process of burning the data, which can be interfered by
stressing the PC with other tasks. Only testing can answer that for a
specific system. I think k3b too has a switch to run in dummy mode
(laser off) and a protocol window to see, if the burn process was badly
affected by something.

Alexander

Serendipity 12:14:27 up 9 days, 19:06, load average: 0.25, 0.14, 0.10