Re: external USB Drive

Kevin Waterson wrote:

I have an external USB drive (fat32) and I can read and
write to it from the command line but cannot do so
when using php from the browser. the perms are 0755
on the external drive and will not allow me to
change them.
requested: 0777, actual: 0755): Operation not permitted

any suggestions how I can move files about on the external
drive using the browser/php?

Kind regards
Kevin
If you are plugging in the USB drive after you are in the GUI, it will inherit the GUI user. (console user). If you want to make the VFAT readable by other than the user you need to pick a mountpoint and use umask settings in the config file where the drive is mounted. You can select users for everybody to be able to access it. The other permissions are set when you plug in the USB drive by programs included with Fedora to mount drives. chmodding even as root is not a function.

Jim