Re: Linux Bookmark Manager?

At 12:20 PM -0400 7/3/05, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>On Sunday 03 July 2005 08:59 am, Benjamin Sher wrote:
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> I have a Russian Index created from Netscape bookmarks at:
>>
>> http://www.websher.net/inx/icdefault1.htm
>>
>> Does anyone know of any such program available for Linux (KDE, Gnome, X,
>> even command line)? I don't mean that it has to be identical to the one
>> above but that is must be able to convert bookmarks to a nicely
>> organized web page? Would be even better if it were dynamic so I
>> wouldn't have to update it every time I add or delete an entry but a
>> static version would be acceptable too.
>>
>> Thank you so much.
>>
>> Benjamin
>
>Benjamin:
>Since Mozilla and Netscape (and probably FireFox) store their bookmarks as
>HTML files, they can be read directly from any browser just by pointing it at
>your bookmarks. If you like what you see, set the bookmarks as the default
>browser page. While the result isn't as elegant as the solution above, it
>does have the virtue of _always_ being current with no maintenance.

A good idea!  I see it's in a hidden directory in $HOME:

$ ls -l ~/.mozilla/firefox/<stuff>.default/bookmarks.html

<stuff> looks to me to be random and most likely different on your system.
(I use TAB-completion to find my way down the directory tree.  Type part of
the name and TAB; hit TAB twice to get a list of possibilities.)  Then you
can edit the command to open Firefox (up-arrow, home, right-DEL several
times, type firefox, RETURN), or use the mouse to select and right-click to
copy the proper path into Firefox.  Set it as the home page in Edit menu
Preferences item General tab.