Re: Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 01:44 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> So are you saying that a machine with only SCSI discs
> >> cannot boot a Fedora kernel
> >> (ie a kernel that comes with the Fedora distribution)?
> >
> > That's not what he said. The SCSI modules are not included in the initrd
> > image *by default*. If you install Fedora on a SCSI machine, anaconda
> > should detect this and include the necessary drivers in the initrd. It
> > will also add a scsi_hostadapter line to /etc/modprobe.conf, which will
> > cause any subsequent mkinitrd runs to include the needed modules too.
>
> I wasn't aware of this, I must admit -
> I didn't realise that anaconda ran mkinitrd.
>
> In my case, at least, it must do this badly,
> as the distribution kernel has never run on my SCSI machine.
>
> What happens if you upgrade rather than install -
> does anaconda still run mkinitrd?

Well, anaconda doesn't run mkinitrd directly itself really. What happens
is that anaconda installs the kernel RPM, and the post-install script
for the kernel RPM calls /sbin/new-kernel-pkg, which runs mkinitrd (to
set up a suitable initrd for the target machine) and updates the
bootloader configuration to include the newly-installed kernel.

Since this is a function of installing the kernel RPM, it will happen
during both fresh installs and upgrades.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>