Re: Unable to execute from USB Drive (FC2)

Mike McCarty wrote:
I'll try again with a shorter message.

I'm having problems executing programs from a mounted USB drive.

I mount /dev/sda1 to /dev/usb and create some directories
over there. All paths have execute access all the way down
When I try to execute a program built on the USB drive, I get
"bash: /mnt/usb/jmccarty/hello: Permission denied".

Is this because it is a "removable medium"? I just checked, and
I get the same error from a floppy.

Earlier I wrote

 >So why is permission denied? It's not just that it's removable
 >medium. So is the floppy, but I can execute from there.

I must have been thinking about from my DOSEMU (which can and
does execute DOS images from both floppy and USB drives).

If the filesystems aren't mounted with the noexec option, and the execute permissions are set on the files you're trying to run, the next thing I'd look for would be selinux audit messages.

Paul.