Re: 'Nuther one

jdow wrote:
From: "John Summerfied" <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

{^_-}
        That still leaves the issue of forcing the system to work
        the way God intended (and every non-'IX and most 'IX
        systems I have works.) I do a lot of work in console mode.
        And I login from many systems often via roundabout paths.
        So having them all agree with regards to the meaning of
        0x08 and 0x7f characters is rather important. The answer
        provided appears to be utterly useless. There are two maybe
        salient bugzilla issues I can track down. But they do not
        respond to the basic issue. Fedora Core 4 thinks these two
        character codes do the wrong thing - EVERYWHERE in the system.
        It makes working "my way" awfully difficult. And I am a person.
        Therefore computers should adapt to me rather than the other
        way around.

Well, you could try WBEL or one of the other clones of RHEL. Seems to me those are the natural successors to RHL - foc and long support.

I had a Sarge system die last week (/dev/sda [the system] died, /dev/sdb and /dev/hda were fine). My 2.4 Gb backup contained 300 Mb of recoverables however I looked at it, so a quick rebuild was required. Basically all I had was the the configuration from /etc and the rest of /. /var was lost, /home was /dev/sdb and so okay.

Since this was my server, I couldn't network-install and the only practical installable that came to hand was WBEL 4. So, quick unscheduled conversion from Sarge to WBEL it was.

It went pretty well actually, though when I rebooted earlier CUPS got broken by something.

There's some s*y bit of software thinks it can configure a CUPS server better than I.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait