Re: Samba isn't accessible to Windows.

Jay Scherrer wrote:

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 15:08 -0400, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Message: 2
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:20:38 -0500
From: Teo Fonrouge <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [FC4]Samba doesn't accessible to Windows
To: jay@xxxxxxxxxxxx,   For users of Fedora Core releases
       <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Jay Scherrer wrote:

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 14:50 -0400, fedora-list-
request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

To: korgull@xxxxxxx, For users of Fedora Core releases
      <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Marcel Janssen wrote:

On Sunday 26 June 2005 12:50, Leon Pu wrote:

Hi all,

my samba share cannot be accessed by Windows computers in my
network.
It always return "N-3 is not accessible. The network name cannot
be
found."

But I can access these Windows shares in Konqueror by
smb://IP_ADDRESS.
At the end of the mail is my smb.conf, please have a look.
Actually I have a simlar problem. When I start samba at boot, it
will
not
work.
When I start samba (sometimes needed multiple time before it really
starts)
using swat it works.
Beats the hell out of me why it behaves like this but it is
repeatable.
Regards,
Marcel

Hello All,

I had the same samba problem with FC4, along with a problem getting active my ppp0 internet DSL interface at boot, this two services
was
refusing to start at boot. This two services was working OK before
my
update from FC3

I think that it was having something to do with SE, because to
solution this I had to turn off SE, reboot, then turn on SE & reboot again, this (I think) relabeled the entire file system & after this; no more problems with the smb & ppp0 services getting working ok.

best regards

Teo Fonrouge

Can you give complete details with this solution? I haven't tried
this
but it seems logical. I've been racking my head with this same
problem,
But I'm still in FC3. I can smb over into Windows all day, but have
no
authority to smb from windows to Linux. How did do you turn-on, turn-
off
SE-Linux? Have you submitted this work around to anyone?

Jay Scherrer

Hello Jay,

You can find the 'Security Level' gui utility in the 'System Configuration' menu. Run it (you need to provide root password), select the SELinux tab and deselect the Enabled checkbox, reboot, and again, select the Enabled checkbox, reboot, this may take a while because the relabel process.

Regarding your issues with your smb network, it would be usefull if
you provide us with a copy of your /etc/samba/smb.conf file to take a look into it.

Back in to FC3 I never had troubles with my smb network, this issue
came with my new FC4 installation. So I think that your trouble may be more a smb configuration one.

best regards

Teo Fonrouge

Thanks in advance
Teo,
I am also trying to setup a file and app server for a nonprofit org. I
am using the secure setup smb.conf configuration from samba by example.
This is on a FC3 fully updated Linux server.
This is the problem:
I am able to smbclient into the windows boxes, without any problem. And
I have matched tcp and udp ports in the iptables and windows firewall.
When I explore my network neighborhood Windows can see the Linux server,
But for some reason I cannot open the samba shares on the Linux side. I
get a message saying "I don't have permission to access the server". I
have added all users using smbpasswd -a and enabled them with -e even
for root. I have recently turned off seLinux to no effect.
Any ideas?
Attached is my /etc/smb.conf:
#############################
#/etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = SCHERCO
netbios name = GIMLY
interfaces = eth0, lo
bind interfaces only = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n *Re-enter*new*password*%n\n
*Password*changed*
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
unix password sync = Yes
log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 50
smb ports = 139 445
name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
time server = Yes
printcap name = CUPS
show add printer wizard = No
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u'
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G '%g' '%u'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /tmp '%u'
shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
abort shutdown script = /sbin/shutdown -c
logon script = scripts\logon.bat
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon drive = X:
logon home = \\%L\%U
domain logons = Yes
preferred master = Yes
wins support = Yes
utmp = Yes
map acl inherit = Yes
printing = cups
cups options = Raw
veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/*.{*}/
veto oplock files = /*.doc/*.xls/*.mdb/

##

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = SMB Print Spool
	path = /var/spool/samba
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	use client driver = Yes
	default devmode = Yes
	browseable = No

##

[netlogon]
	comment = Network Logon Service
	path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
	guest ok = Yes
	locking = No

##

[profiles]
	comment = Profile Share
	path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
	read only = No
	profile acls = Yes

### Home Directories

[data]
	comment = data Files
	path = /opt/data
	read only = No

[apps]
	comment = Application Files
	path = /opt/apps
	read only = Yes
	browsable = Yes
	admin users = admin

[prj]
       path = /opt/prj
       valid users = jay
       read only = no

[tmp]
	path = /opt/tmp
	guest ok = Yes
	read only = Yes

[windows]
comment = Gimpit's Shared files path = \\gimpit\home
	guest ok = Yes
	read only = no

Jay Scherrer

Hello Jay,

AFAICS, there is not any setting that may be creating trouble, except by the 'pass backend' setting, I think that you must indicate the complete route for your .tdb password file, please try to change this setting to something like:

passdb backend = tdbsam:<path>/passdb.tdb

Of course you must have a valid passdb.tdb file in your <path> route, i.e.: tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb

If the samba authentication process don't find your password file, your client machines complains with 'access denied'

best regards

Teo Fonrouge