Re: smallest possible network, was Re: VOIP with a linksys PAP2

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
I've been reading the pdf manual (lost the paper version).  err,when
all else fails read the manual?  on page 4 there's a picture of the
wl-330g connected to a switch:

"Device Installation

Using DC power

1.  Insert one end of the supplied RJ-45 cable to the WL-330g Ethernet
port.

2.  Insert the other of the RJ-45 cable to a network hub, switch,
router or wall
patch Ethernet port.

In this case, that would be your hub.

3. Connect the power adapter plug to the WL-330g DC-IN socket.

4. Connect the WL-330g power adapter to a wall socket.

OK, power on the wl-330g

5.  Connect the network hub, switch, or router power adapter plug to
the DC-IN socket of the device.

6.  connect the network hub, switch, or router power adapter to a wall
socket."

Then power up the hub

in the picture there's a third socket/hole/button/whatever on the far
right.  I can't find any mention as to what this is.

To the right of what?

also, I have a hub, not a switch.

OK

 and, on page 19 the manual states that

"Device setup

Using the device in a local network

You can use the WL-330g to connect a WLAN-enabled computer to a local
network with
or without a DHCP server.

To connect a WLAN-enabled computer to a local network:

1.  Switch the WL-330g to AP mode.  (Default SSID: AP xxxxx), then turn
on the
device.

2.  Connect one end of the supplied RJ-45 cable to the Ethernet port of
the device
and the other end to the Ethernet port of the local network.

3.)  Use the WLAN adapter software in the WLAN enabled computer to
perform a Site
Survey.  Make sure the computer's WLAN adapter is set to Infrastructure
mode.

4.)  Establish connection with the WL-330g.

5.)  Set the IP configuration of the computer to establis connection to
the local
network.  Verify you connection.

You indicated that your computer (named arakis) can already successfully communicate with your wl-330g and the internet beyond. This is when it is plugged directly into eth0 on arakis. Does the connection *still* work when you plug the wl-330g into the hub instead (and plug eth0 into the hub as well)? This is with the PAP2 disconnected. Kinda like:

internet	==>	router
route		==>	wl-330g
wl-330g		==>	hub
arakis eth0	==>	hub

Now your hub really is the "hub" of your local network. If this works, it may be possible then plug your PAP2 into the hub and have *it* work as well. All without having to use arakis as a router.

Use the Wireless Setting Utility to change WL-330g SSID or encryption
settings."

so, I was wrong. the wl-330g is smarter than I, for whatever reason, had thought. However, even this is, ultimately, the best set-up, I'm going in a different direction. I want proof that the cables and hub work. to that end, I just want some ftp, or whatever, between my two computers.

I've named my two computers arrakis and caladan.

I've got:

internet          ==>     router
router             ==>     wl-330g
wl-330g          ==>	 eth0 of arrakis
eth1 of arrakis	==>	hub
hub                ==>     eth0 of caladan

now, I'll look in <http://www.tldp.org/> for info about this.  here's
my sysctl.conf file:

[thufir@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# Kernel sysctl configuration file for Red Hat Linux
#
# For binary values, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled.  See sysctl(8) and
# sysctl.conf(5) for more details.

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

# Controls source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1

# Do not accept source routing
net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
kernel.sysrq = 0

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

# Controls IP packet forwarding net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Notice that you set this twice, once to 0, and a second time to 1. Try removing (or commenting out the set to 0)

[thufir@localhost ~]$

I'll start with the basics. do I want a Virtual Private Network? <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO/x192.html>

VPN is for making your home network be a part of a remote network while using the internet as a connection method. It encapuslates and encrypts the traffic between the two networks so that the data remains secure while it transits the internet. Its usful in an environment when one wants to work from home without jeopardizing the security of your employer's networks/data. I would say NO, you do want want to worry about VPN right now.

I just want transfer a small file between the computers as a test.

Ignore the internet connection for now (unplug eth0 is you want to) and concentrate on the following network connections:

arakis eth1 <==> hub <==> caladon eth0

If you've plugged in the cables right, you should see "link" lights on your hub light up for each connection (yes?).

use system-config-network to configure each ethernet card. create a private network between the two, for example, choose a private class C network like: 192.168.10.0 with a NETMASK of 255.255.255.0 and a BROADCAST mask of 192.168.10.255. Assign address 192.168.10.1 to arakis, and 192.168.10.2 to caladon. After both computers are configured, make sure that both interfaces are ACTIVE. Once they are active, you should be able to see the results with:

ifconfig eth1				on arakis
ifconfig eth0				on caladon

You should then see routes in your routing table on arakis similar to:

route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.10.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1

and on caledon:

route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.10.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.10.0    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

(the default route on caledon is unimportant for this test since we won't be sending any packets beyond the local network, but may be important and possibly even change in the final configuration depending on your final network topology)

If it works, you can:

ping 192.168.10.2			on arakis

and

ping 192.168.10.1			on caladon

and see the output of the packet timings on your screens.

Can you get this far?  Is this clear enough for you?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx