xorg Display problem

I've recently upgraded a Toshiba Portege 2000 laptop (Trident CyberBlade video card) from FC3 to FC4.

In FC3 everything worked perfectly fine in X. in FC4 not even the install will load properly. I have to pass a resolution argument to the kernel on boot and I also get a white screen and have to press Fn-5 to disable and then re-enable the lcd for it to show properly.

I decided to try to go ahead with the install and then fix it later. Well.. I went through with a personal desktop install and lo-and-behold I still have to pass a resolution argument and still have to fn-5 it to get gdm to display. I did a yum update to get any last minute fixes. I then proceeded to install some other apps: xmms, mp3 support, mplayer, xine, realplayer 10. I also removed the helix player. When I attempted to bring the system back up the next day, X fails to load with:

[EE] /usr/X11R6/libs/modules/libddc.a is an unrecognized type.
[EE] TRIDENT: Failed to load module "ddc" (unknown module type, 6)

I've STFW and can't find a dang thing about this. I've tried everything I can think of in my limited experience with xorg and my longer experience with XFree86. But I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?

Fritz