renaming *.wav.mp3 to *.mp3 only

Dear folks,
   Sorry if this has been asked many times but I need
your help.  I need to rename some music files that I
created using lame to simply file.mp3 instead of the
file.wav.mp3 format that they are in.  I copied a
script from the internet but it did not work to encode
mp3 and I modified it so that I could get some output
and it came to *.wav.mp3

Here's the script
#!/bin/sh
for i in *.[wW][aA][vV]; do
  lame "$i"  "$i".mp3
done

The resultant mp3 files had the *.wav.mp3 as I do not
know how to modify the results.

Regards,

Antonio