Re: plain-vanilla ethernet; do brands matter?

On 6/8/05, THUFIR HAWAT <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/8/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have yet to run across anything that is 10/100 that is a PCI card that
> > doesn't just work - but if you want to be sure, Linksys cards (afaik)
> > always work.
>
> if it's 10/100 PCI it should just work, but linksys is better, ok.
>
> then below, it doesn't work automatically.  onboard means integrated
> with the main board?
>
> > Sometimes onboard ethernet doesn't always work - IE the onboard nic on
> > my nforce2 board (it works now, thanks to reverse engineering) but if
> > you get a Linksys 10/100 NIC it will cost you maybe $10.00 in the U.S.
> > (are you in the US??) and is very easy to install yourself - you don't
> > need to pay a labor fee to have it installed (where I use to work, as a
> > hardware tech, we'd charge $45.00 for that - it took us maybe 5 minutes
> > to put the card in, then just booting to make sure the card was
> > seen/install drivers - not really worth the expense imho)
> >

> you echo my preconceptions in all regards but one.  here in canada,
> the smc card, for example is twenty including install.  I'm
> mechanically, err, challenged?, so I'll bite the bullet on the
> inflated labor fees ;)
>
> I'll check it out tomorrow, but I might pay the five or ten canadian
> more for the linksys card because it's "better," or at least has that
> reputation, which you emphasized.  however, I failed to mention that
> cost is definitely a factor, too, even though this is really peanuts
> because I'm, err, counting peanuts.
>
> -Thufir

The 10/100 NICs with RJ45 connector are commodity items.  Any
"whitebox" card with a Realtek RT8139 chipset should satisfy your
needs.  You will be wasting your money for a Linksys NIC unless it has
special feature(s) that you need and the other cards do not  provide.