Re: Speakers - slightly off topic

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Neal Rhodes wrote:

Slightly off topic.  Ok, you've got several computers at your desk.

One primary Linux desktop, one not-linux notebook, maybe one more.
And a CD player/radio.   Maybe an MP3 or Minidisk player.
Notebook has crappy speakers, but that's the one used for listening to
internet radio, etc.

Now, you could have 4 sets of powered speakers plus the CD player. Or
you could find something to mix the 3 outputs together and run it to
a single set of speakers.   Or even use the AUX input on the CD player.

But what could one use to do that?  Only thing I've come up with is
this:
http://www.music123.com/Rolls-MX42-RCA-Stereo-Mini-Mixer-i138112.music

and I'm not sure if that would work well with headset/speaker out
level on multiple sound cards.   It's just a set of jacks with 10K
pots in them, so if each pot is cranked all the way up, there's
basically no impedance between each sound card/device output.

I use one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/UB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

it's relativly cheap, ($75 list) quiet and makes adding and removing audio sources easy... I do have have 1/4 to rca adapters in most the the inputs.

joelja

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx