Re: Samba and windows on FC3

Tim Holmes wrote:
Good Afternoon everyone:

After creating a file server on a new FC3 installation, I have hit a
bit of a snag with samba

Here is the smb.conf file for the affected server

[global] workgroup = MCASCHOOL netbios name = SRVFS-01 server string
= MCA File Server security = DOMAIN winbind separator = \ idmap uid =
10000-20000 idmap gid = 10000-20000 winbind enum users = yes winbind
enum groups = yes printcap name = cups disable spoolss = Yes show add
printer wizard = No idmap uid = 15000-20000 idmap gid = 15000-20000 winbind use default domain = Yes use sendfile = Yes printing = cups

[home] writable = true path = /home comment = Home Directories browsable = yes

[public] delete readonly = yes writeable = yes path = /home/public force directory mode = 777 force group = nobody force user = nobody public = yes create mode = 777 directory mode = 777

[pictures] path = /home/pictures write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force
directory mode = 744 public = yes create mode = 744 browsable = yes directory mode = 744

[iso] path = /home/iso write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force directory
mode = 755 directory mode = 755

[ghost_images] path = /home/ghost write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force directory mode = 755 directory mode = 755

[rpms] path = /home/rpms write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force
directory mode = 755 directory mode = 755

[webroot] path = /home/www write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force
directory mode = 755 directory mode = 755 [root@srvweb-01 conf]#

the directory that I am trying to work with is the pictures share. I
can browse the directory, but I cannot write to it. -- I strongly suspect a permissions or authentication error

the directory is owned by my network user -- UID 10014, and the group
is root. I am trying to create a folder from a windows computer to transfer some files -- I am logged in and authenticated from my
windows workstation

TIM

Tim Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster Medina Christian Academy A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3 Jeremiah 29:11 Esther 4:14

Did you check on the Linux machine that the /home/pictures directory actually has the permissions you think they do (ls -l is one way)?  Did you try *temporarily* chmoding them to 777?  Obvious, maybe, but I had to ask.  If yes, the problem is almost certainly with Samba (or the client).

I almost recall a situation where I had to create accounts separately in Samba and Linux in order to get it to work, even though I thought they were supposed to be synchronized, but it's been a while since I've played with it.

What version of Windows are you running?  Could the problem be on your Windows end?

--
David Liguori