Re: how can you verify that the site you get is not a fake?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 06:05:58AM -0700, bruce wrote:
> but you still haven't addressed my problem/issue/question...
> and that's how do i as a user (not an app) know that this is the right
> site for the url i entered... my fear is that a malicious site, could
> simply fake the information he's providing, to 'look' like the actual/real
> site...
> and as of yet.. i can't craft a solution to this issue...

You could trust us that it's very hard to fake the SSL information, and then
you could inspect that. (Double click on the little lock icon.) You'll see
something like:

  Web Site Identity Verified

  The web site www.bu.edu supports authentication for the page you are
  viewing. The identity of this web site has been verified by Thawte
  Consulting cc, a certificate authority you trust for this purpose.

In the Firefox advanced preferences, you can manage which certificate
authorities you trust.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>