Re: innodes

Hi

I keep hearing stories about people running out of innodes but having the disk
not 100% full.

Could anyone shed more light on this subject?

I reviewed some information on the ext3, and ext2 filesystems but they don't
speak a work about innodes.

I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding is that every file and directory use an inode. That is to say every time you create a file you use an inode. There are a finite number of inodes available. That's why you can run out of inodes and still have plenty of disk space. To see inode usage try

   df -i

at a shell prompt...