Re: booting parameters in Grub

On 5/25/05, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:35:24PM +0530, Ninad Bapat wrote:

Hi
I installed FC3 and everything ws working fine. The other day I installed
Debian sarge it overwrote the GRUB installed by FC3
Now when I try to boot into FC3 it boots but gives an error half way while
booting
what is the exact boot line to be given with the extra parameters at the
end for e.g./dev/vmlinuz.... ro rgb etc
Thanks and Regards
Ninad Bapa
Glenn Story wrote:

You might be able to retrieve the parameters using a method such as this:

1.  Boot Debian.  (This assumes you can do that successfully.)
2.  From Debian mount the /boot partition from your fedora system.
3.  Now you can read the menu.lst file or grub.conf (normally one is a
link to the other).

You you can copy the commands from the Fedora grub.conf to the
corresponding entries in the Debian grub.conf.

-- Glenn

   You might like this solution a little better:

Boot from fedora disk 1
Type linux rescue
Follow the screen prompts 'til you get where the screen tells you to enter the command chroot /sys/img
after performing the chroot re-install grub into the fedora-root partition using: grub-install /dev/hda? where x is the partition number
Exit from fedora by typing exit <enter>

   Reboot into Debian, fire up your favorite editor:
   vim /boot/grub/menu.lst

add the appropriate lines, so:
title Fedora
rootnoverify(hd0,x)
chainloader+1

Note that x in line rootnoverify is 1 number lower than the /dev/hda? due to grub counting partitions from 0

Now when you reboot you will have the option of booting into Debian or Fedora and (the reason this method is so good)
when you update your kernel, it will be put into Fedora's /boot partition instead of Debian's

Note that you may have to alter the Grub menu.lst file if debian's kernel install changes it. OR you may want to read up
on Grub for there is an option that will make whatever title selected the default for for next boot.

Scott