Re: computer to "smart device" - subnet question

Scot L. Harris wrote:
On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 22:05, Jim Cornette wrote:

Setting the netmask for the computer to 255.255.0.0 allows communication between a computer with addresses in the 192.168.127.x and with devices in the 192.168.2xx.x range. The problem I am experiencing is intermittent dropout of "smart devices" that also have settings for masking and are set to 192.168.127.xx with a mask of 255.255.255.0. The computer ethernet address is set to 192.168.217.14.

Anyway, could the intermittent dropout with communication be caused by the masking on the smart device not renging with the IP of the computer or would the broader setting for the computer be enough to not cause a loss of connectivity.

You can count on the intermittent connectivity being caused by the
netmasking not being consistent on all devices in a flat network as you
are describing.

If you have different subnets you will need to define gateways which
will act as routers between the subnets.  Those gateways will be
configured as the default routes on the devices within the subnets.  Any
packet not on the local subnet will get sent to the gateway for
delivery.

Either set all the subnet masks the same, or setup routers between the
subnets.

I believe they are using switches and setting up gateways without a router. I am coming in late to this problem and the answers will help when I check out what their whole setup is. So far, just have bits and pieces and noticed this pecularity in the setup they are using.

thanks,

Jim

--
Some Windows were made to be broken.