Re: phishing emails

James Kosin wrote:

Vassilios,

Unfortuneately, when you post to any list (I do mean any), many other
independant sites host archives of the list and many many people on

Do a google search for your email. Flame offending webmeisters.

this list receive email from the list with other peoples email
addrsses.  That the only secure email address is one that NEVER sends
an email.

You could alternately change sendmail (maybe) to only accept mail
delivery from a known source... but, that may quickly grow into a
massive project to manage.

I _can_ configure postfix to receive email for this address only from Red Hat's servers. That would have the additional benefit of preventing off-lit replies:-)

I have also thought of subscribing two addresses to lists, setting one to "no mail" and deleting the account at the receiving end.

The "no mail" address would be the one I write from.

Another idea I've had is to run mailman. Subscribe relevant lists to it, maybe me and use the mailman's address to write from.

some low level junk controls to help cut down.  At one point on my
primary email (not this address), I was getting about 100-200 junk
email messages a weekend.  With 75-100 a day.

The junk mail has been minimal now; but, I still get some that come in
now and then 20-30 a day.

I've never seen anything like those numbers. Maybe my antispam works.

I get some spam, including recently to this address, so clearly every spammer on Planet Earth has had the opportunity of getting my email addresses.

There are also many SPYware applications, ADDware or JUNKware I like
to call them.  Out there that may also collect this information.

Of course, not so many for Linux.

--

Cheers
John