Re: OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Jerry Gaiser wrote:

Broadband penetration in the US and especially the Western US is *much* smaller than those of you in the big cities imagine.

I was at a wedding in the midwest recently. Of some 15 - 20 people asked, my brother and I, who live in sillicon valley, were the only ones for whom DSL or better were available.

So it's not just western US. It's pretty much all rural areas. Think telephone penetration of the early 1950's. Most farms didn't have them. Most small towns shared a single line if they had one at all. Hotels in those areas advertise 56k dedicated as "high speed internet".

Satellite solutions also have some serious interactivity problems due to the delays.

--rich