Re: Opening desktop via X Window

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Puleston" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 26 May, 2005 1:10 AM
Subject: Opening desktop via X Window

Hi,

I've just been experimenting with using the CygWin X-Window server on a
Windows PC at work to connect to my Linux PC at home. Works great, but
something funny just happened. I had been hoping to open a window with the
whole GNOME desktop, but couldn't find anything in the documentation on how
to do that, so I'd resigned myself to running individual apps in individual
X-windows. But then I tried running Nautilus. In an XTerm window I typed
"nautilus &" and a Nautilus file browser window opened up, but then a minute
or so later a 2nd X-Window opened up displaying the desktop. Psychic Linux!

So, is there a command that will run a desktop directly rather than going
via that path?

Ian

gnome-session&

works for me.

You may also want to adjust the "run xwin" line in the cygwin startxwin.bat file. I prefer :

run XWin -rootless -clipboard -silent-dup-error

Tony