uploading html documents for apache with <=> ownership of files

Hi,

I'd like to set up an ftp server, which users can use for uploading files/documents for the apache webserver.

I am using FC3 and vsftpd, which is delivered with FC3.

My idea is to create a special user, and changing the read/write rights and ownership for /var/www/html and /var/www/cgi-bin in a way, that this user may read and write.
I can set the umask in vsftpd.conf in a way, that this user's group members may read the created files. The user "apache" has to be a group member then.

My question: is this plan a good idea? I don't want to screw up security by changing the access rights of the document and cgi-bin tree.

What solution is usually used for such a task?

thanks Boris