libdl.so.2 error

Hi,

I did not want to put an "URGENT" label in the subject but this is quite urgent!

I had one IDE port on my mobo get fried due to a power surge. I am now using a PCI-IDE card to hook up my two hard drives. The machine had FC2 running on it - 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp kernel.

The problem I'm having is that the machine will not boot properly. After grub loads, everything else is skipped, and I get a prompt that says "(none) login: ". When I try to login at this prompt, I'm not asked for my password, and the login prompt appears again.

After a while, I noticed this error:
---
/bin/login: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open object file: input/output error
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
---

I tried to 'upgrade' my installation using the FC2 CD to see if that fixes the problem, but when the installer searches for the FC2 installations, it gets killed with the error: "swap not initialized".

I then booted the FC2 CD in linux rescue mode. I can see that /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is pointing to /lib/ld-2.3.3.so. But /lib/libdl.so.2 is not being read, in the sense that I can list it with the ls command, but when I try to do `ls -l` on it, I get an 'input/output error'. I tried this to forcibly create a link:

`ln -s /lib/libdl-2.3.3.so /lib/libdl.so.2'

but I get an error : cannot create link: read only filesystem

I even tried to `rm -rf /lib/libdl.so.2' and the command returned without any errors. But I still cannot `ln -s' in the /lib directory.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Saurabh.
"Yours is to work. The results will take care of themselves"
-- Swami Vivekanad

Saurabh Barve
sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(970)491-7714