Re: GNOME via remote X server - slow root window redraw

Toralf Lund wrote:
Hi.

I though I might forward a question of mine that got no response on the mailing list:

Another thing I thought would be fun to try on my new Mini Mac: I'm
logging into GNOME on my FC3 box via XDMCP (on the Fedora host) and 'X
-broadcast' (on the Mac.) This actually works rather well. One problem,
though: Full root window redraws are very slow. This leads to annoying
delays on greeter display, login and also when the logout icon is
selected (because of the display "gray-out" operation, I guess.)

Any advice?

BTW, it seems to me that that X is faster than VNC for *most other*
operations...

- Toralf

Actually, the problem could be that the connection just isn't fast enough for smooth image data display; I'm using an 11Mb wireless link, which I now think is quite a bit slower in real terms even than 10Mb UTP Ethernet. However, the operation is just as slow with a plain-colour background as it is when using an image. Does this mean that raw pixel data is sent to the display even in the former mode? Why?

I've used X -query to login to several different machines on my 100 mbit LAN. There was some slight slowness compared with X on the same box, but nothing of concern.

I have used VNC over dialup as recently as today, and I found a 1024x768 usable. Not great, but usable. "X -query" would not be a goer over a modem.

Note that the usability of VNC or X over a network depends on what one's doing. _I_ was mostly typing into xterms and the like, with a bit of mozzie mail reading. Playing games or movies would be another thing altogether.

I do not think Gnome a relevant part of your problem.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait