Re: OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Les Mikesell wrote:

Well, for one thing, Fedora started off as a 4-CD set while Ubuntu had the advantage of starting fresh.

Ubuntu started with debian packages - I'd argue that Fedora is a
better starting point.

Debian beats Fedora here. There are 13,000 or so packages already built for Debian.

If you don't like sendmail & postfix, then maybe exim is to your taste? Or even zmailer?.

Want a light-weight desktop? fvwm is there. Dillo for a featherweight browser. links (the real one), w3m....

Making Fedora fit on one CD means removing packages and not everyone
agrees on which packages should be moved to Fedora Extras.

Moving, not removing.  The idea is to re-arrange things so most
installs only need one CD, but all the other packages are still
available.  Rather than argue over what should be on that one

Debian does this already, supporting my contention Debian's a better base the Fedora Core.

As one who's been maintaining RHL since 3.0.3 and Debian since the death of RHL was announced, I will assert I regard Debian's package-management tools are better.

It's not dpkg vs rpm - they provide roughly equivalent functionality, but Debian's apt-get vs yum and up2date.

Anything I can do with yum or up2date I can also do with apt-get, but apt-get does more that I find useful.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait