Re: OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Hi

They are (and should be) basically the same things packaged and
installed differently.  What's the point of being free and open
if you don't use the best available even if you didn't invent it
yourself?  That is, if can quantify something as 'better', then
everyone might as well be using it.

Again. The concept of which one is better if not the best application in its category is fuzzy. Red Hat is investing in new applications and technology. I cited Evince and SELinux before. I could add the Free Java stack using GCJ which includes parts of Openoffice.org 2.0, Eclipse, Apache Jakarta as another major change. GCC4 is a improvement. So these would flow from Fedora to others. Other changes could come from other platforms to Fedora. If we cannot share core, we can share ideas. Fedora project is defined by the merits of people who are willing to contribute theirs ideas and the ability to move beyond those ideas into code or documentation or anything thats actually useful.

http://people.redhat.com/sundaram/fedora_notes.html

This is a moving target for all distributions.

exactly. See above

And in the context
of fedora, the servers most likely aren't re-installed from scratch
every 6 months.

Support for Fedora Core 2 was moved to Fedora Legacy when Fedora Core 4 test 2 was released. Fedora Legacy has a FAQ on its support policy. http://fedoralegacy.org/about/faq.php
So its not necessary to do any reinstallations every 6 months. Fedora due to its upgrading method of staying close to upstream rather not backporting may not be suitable for servers anyway. I will write and post more about this later

I don't think it is something that should be answered in theory.

If you are interested in helping out, working out the packages practically would be helpful. Like you said this can be answered in theorotical statements that top 20 packages should be picked

Ummm, yes, most people would probably wait for Linus to accept SELinux

Linus already accepted SELinux during 2.5 development lifecycle and it has been 2.6 kernel right from the start. Are you talking about usage?. If so Linus is a kernel developer and is not comparable to Linux users who want to use more secure systems. Whether Linus is actually using SELinux or not is not the right way to determine whether you should be using it.

I'm not sure I understand the concept of a 'core' that is right for
both a desktop and a server install.

So you think core should be focussed towards desktop. Thufir just mailed me yesterday about his opinion that none of the DE's should be included within Fedora core to accomodate users preferences better. This is certainly a subjective thing

regards
Rahul