Re: recursive directory

jludwig wrote:
On Friday 13 May 2005 04:38 pm, Robert Nichols wrote:

Lokrin wrote:

I have a directory that contains one directory and one file. The problem
is that somehow it is recursive.  I go into it and it contains it's own
directory.  Go into that and you get the same thing.  The TREE commands
keeps going.  RM -RF keeps going.  Under Konqueror, trying to delete the
directory give a status bar and it reaches up to around 15,000 folders
at less then 1% done before it freezes.

The directoy is not linked in any fashion.  How can I get rid of it?

Unmount the file system and run "fsck -f" on it.  If you can't unmount
the file system, running "shutdown -F -r now" will cause a reboot with
a forced fsck.  That's overkill, but simple to do.  What you are seeing
is file system corruption, and fsck should fix it.

--
Bob Nichols         rnichols42@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks I couldn't remember myself.

Thanks all, I've got it fixed now.  I shut down and the reboot showed the file system as being ok and passed.  I went back to the directory and tried
RM -rf name
and it took a couple of minutes of wait, but it finally did remove it.  As I noted in another message, I think a program went into some loop and created them all beforee it died itself.

Thanks again.

Lokrin