Re: 64-bit Firefox and no Flash :(

Chris Stark writes:

On Thursday 12 May 2005 11:35 am, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Mark Greenbank writes:
> Depends on your prespective, I guess ... no Flash ads on the one hand,
> limited functionality on the other ...

Would you mind educating me as to what functionality I can get from Flash
that I can't get from garden-variety HTML, and perhaps a bit of Javascript?

Two things: Interactivity and cross-platform/browser consistency.

Sure, you can do quite a lot of interactivity with server-side (perl, php, etc.) mixed with compliant XHTML, javascript, and even Java (but Java's market penetration rate can't touch Flash's).

However when a consistent look and feel, production time, and download size are important issues to your organization, Flash is a strong contender -- especially if your web production team leans more toward being artists than programmers. My office creates Web-distributable educational software using Flash, and I can't think of a better tool for the job.

Well, my web-based software is pretty much cross-platform and browser consistent, and doesn't need much more than plain HTML. Flash might be a bit more interactive, but nothing that some good design and planning wouldn't be able to handle.