Re: Playing DVD freezes the computer

Xiaotian Sun wrote:
Hi,

I never had this problem before.  But yesterday when I was watching a
DVD on my FC3 box using xine 0.99.3, suddenly in the middle of
playback, the whole computer froze: no response to keyboard, mouse, or
remote log in.  I had to do a hard reset.

Then I switch mplayer, it was fine for like 10 minutes, then the
computer froze again.

I couldn't figure out what went wrong.  There's nothing obviously
wrong in the log.

Another question, what is the difference between libdvdcss and
libdvdcss2?  I have libdvdcss-1.2.8 installed.

Thanks,

Xiaotian

Have you ever played that particular DVD title on your computer before? Some studio-pressed DVD titles display erratic and unpredictable behavior when you play them with one or more DVD playing applications. That's why I install several on my machine. I've had titles play in accelerated mode, and I've had other titles refuse to play at all, even though the disks mounted.

And while I'm on the subject: I have /never/ been able to play any DVD title that I created using the "DVD Builder" application from Roxio. I always get an error message questioning my rights to the title.

Temlakos