Re: I'm experimenting with Kernel Preemption

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:

Not on Fedora's kernel sources, but with 2.6.11ac7. I based my config on /boot/config-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 and deat with the additional options with "make oldconfig". Then I browsed the configuration with "make menuconfig", just for fun.

I saw kernel preemption was turned off, so I turned on. Afterwards, I notice the system is noticeably faster. Bootup is faster. Shutdown is faster. The Red Hat manu on GNOME pops up WAY faster. OpenOffice.org loading is faster. I suspect other things are faster too, but I'd have to time them.

So my question is: why isn't preemption enabled in the FC3 packaged kernel? Does it conflict with something I haven't encountered yet? maybe some esoteric hardware combination?

If you really want to ask the developers, post in the fedora-devel list. Dave Jones, the kernel maintainer for Fedora does read and respond to mails here but considering the amount of traffic it is better to ask in the right place

regards
Rahul