Re: Moving raid to different machine

Ashley,

I'm not sure what the experience will be for you, BUT from machine A with FC2 to machine B with FC3 it was a simple process: I moved the drives. The only thing I had to do is mess with /etc/fstab to get them to automount. I also moved them to machine C with FC3 as well and it was just as fun and easy :) It was refreshing and surprising at the same time to see it work that smoothly. I wasn't using a stripe, I was using a mirror (2 mirrors and 2 drives actually), but I expect that it should be just as easy.

-Phillip

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

With a mail spooler going down yesterday, I'm faced with a small problem. The machine, running RH7.3, had a raid consisting of 2 SCSI drives that were striped together (software raid.) Is there some way I can pull these drives out with their controller, stick them in a different machine, get the raid going, and be able to pull the data off? If so, how? I don't know if there are certain files I need, but on backup I have /etc but no /boot (which is where grub lived in those days.)

   The raidtab as it was looks like this:

raiddev             /dev/md0
raid-level                  0
nr-raid-disks               2