Re: Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

William Hooper wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 08:32, William Hooper wrote:

Update lists mirrors; it seems that Yum downloads a fresh list each
time (yuck, I'd rather see the list in an rpm that's updated as
needed), so that should be a quick fix. Once a mirror fixes its
problems, relist it.

Does yum pick a mirror at random now?

It is configured to do that be default now, yes.

Ouch - that is very cache-unfriendly.

It is much, much more mirror friendly, though.

wgetting http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3 shows a list of possible mirrors and I assume yum randomly selects one to use each time (resulting in each request behind a proxy hitting a different mirror). What would be ideal is if that url was dynamic and returned a single mirror url for yum to use. Squid would then cache that mirror link as well as the rpms and headers from that mirror resulting in less traffic to all mirrors. The scripting on fedora.redhat.com could be further enhanced to return a mirror close to where the requesting IP address is. I really hate it when I fire up up2date only to have it start pulling from a mirror in Bulgaria or somewhere else thousands of miles away. This would be both cache and mirror friendly to do. Of course this may be easy for me to say and difficult to implement...

Jay

--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator