Re: Strange name resolution [SOLVED]

Rick Stevens wrote:

Patrick Nelson wrote:

Wow thought nscd was just for caching authentication... Didn't think of that one and yes it is running. However it is running on all the other systems as well.and it should have re-cached the data over the reboot... Should it? I did see any other way of flushing the cache other than restarting it.

"nscd -i table-name" will invalidate the cache for the named table.
Use "nscd -g" to display current statistics.  "nscd --help" will display
the commands it groks.

Alrighty then... It appears that nscd could be my culprit. I found that the config was persistent for the caches, meaning that a reboot or restart would not invalidate them. I found one system that didn't have nscd on because it messed up the login of users. So I 'nscd -i passwd' and 'nscd -i group' it and then it worked. Wow... solved another one. Very cool. Now on to the DNS

I just tested a DNS change out and I added a 'nscd -i hosts' process to be done on all systems. This seemed to have worked with all systems processing the new CNAME (or resolving for it). Thanks R and A!