Re: Yum Extender

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Temlakos wrote:

Nevertheless, I heartily recommend yumex, for a whole host of reasons.
It gives me everything I wanted in a GUI front-end, while allowing me to
see what it's doing (through its Output window), just as I can see right
now on the command line.

A very valuable customization and administration tool--and one I would
like to see made part of Fedora Core, or Fedora Extras at least.

Sorry to be negative, but I installed and tried yumex,
and found it more or less useless.
Or maybe I lack the necessary intelligence to use it.

When I click on Update I'm prompted to fill in something for "Filter",
whatever that means.
When I click "Select all" at the bottom of the page
and then click the second "Update" item (why two?)
I'm told "No packages selected".

I think that quite a lot of work needs to be done on this
before it is accepted as a standard part of Fedora.

Are you sure, when you visit the Update screen, that you even /have/ anything to update? I notice that when my RHN icon shows a blue checkmark, yumex's Update screen shows no package names, because no updates are available. But when I see the red screamer, and all the mirrors have the updates, /now/ the Update screen shows those packages for which updates are now available.

The filter allows you to select only those packages beginning with a certain name, or having certain character strings in their names.

I'll grant you that Synaptic (when the package isn't broken, as it is now until Axel promulgates a key component to the at-stable branch of his repository) allows you to search packages by type, which yumex does not--yet. But as long as Fedora is going to include yum as a package manager, and if you /want/ a GUI, then yumex is the best I've found so far.

Temlakos