Re: RealPlayer dissapeared

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 23:50 -0500, Kenny Gow wrote:
> Sam Williams wrote:
> > Dear people,
> >
> > I had RealPlayer installed, running nicely, included in KDE and Gnome
> > menus, and when I said Open to an MP3 file it would invoke RP and play
> > it.  Recently ran up2date and RealPlayer disappeared from menus, desktop
> > and also disappeared from whatever list tells OS what to do with an MP3
> > type of file--it now opens Helix player that pops up error message
> > saying I should use RealPlayer.
> >
> > Found realplayer files several places on disk, tried to reinstall.  But,
> > it said that RP was already installed and then stopped.  I'd be happy to
> > un-install then reinstall if I knew how.  Wouldn't mind fixing Helix so
> > it would do the job.  Just want to play my MP3s.  Please tell me how.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sam
> >
> The latest HelixPlayer update overwrote the menu entry for RealPlayer.
>
> I recommend you get the latest version of RealPlayer (10.0.4) which
> addresses some security vulnerabilities. See here:
>
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/
>
> Once you get the latest RealPlayer rpm file, you can update your
> RealPlayer installation with the rpm -Uvh command.
>
> --
> Because words are imperfect, every generation rewrites itself.

Kenny,

Thanks for otherwise great advice but unfortunately, Real was up-to-date
when the HelixPlayer update struck.  I tried your rpm command and
several variations.  All I ran, so far, return either '[RP]is already
installed' (even when adding -f to force) or on -e versions, I get '[RP]
is not installed'.  Have you other ideas on how I can recover RP?  Which
is the executable file for RealPlayer?  Wouldn't mind invoking from
terminal.  Would prefer changing file associations in KDE gui.

Thanks,

Sam