Re: Apt-get equivalent in fedora

John Moore (Linux Server) wrote:
Try Yum Extender (http://linux.rasmil.dk) for a great gui frontend for
yum.

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 09:43 -0400, Temlakos wrote:

Chris Jones wrote:

Strange. up2date isn't able to connect to the rhn website, and when I
go the the website myself, I see there a login page but anyway I'll
try yum or would install apt-get

I recommend you ditch up2date and switch to another tool such as yum or apt-get (if you want guis, these are also available such as kyum for yum and synaptic for apt-get.). Up2date has always proved rather unreliable for me.

The only reason why I would want a GUI is to aid in browsing available packages. For simple updates to existing packages, I don't need a GUI. I just type "yum -y update" (as a SUperuser, of course) and if it can find packages to update, it does its job, and a lot more smoothly than up2date ever did. (It also shows me what it's doing while it does it.)

But when I want to know what packages are available, I have a problem. If I list them in a terminal window, the list will shoot off the scale--and backward scrolling of a terminal window sometimes doesn't work right. (Is that an X issue, or something else I can fix?) The GUI would at least let me browse a list, look at its description, and decide whether to take it or not. That's why I liked synaptic so much--before the new apt package on at-stable broke it. (Axel has a fix, I understand, but at last report it's in "bleeding.")

Is kyum the GUI for KDE? What GUI's are available for yum in Gnome?

Temlakos

John Moore Manager, IS Quality Care for Children Atlanta, Georgia 404-479-4180

Well, I did install Yum Extender, or "yumex." I got it from the link you mentioned, and installed the rpm directly by issuing:

# chmod 755 yumex*
# rpm -Uvh yumex*

I've used it already to run the latest batch of updates from the official repos and from at-stable.

It has the list of packages that haven't been installed, packages I have, and packages needing an update. It allows me to select packages to remove.

But the /best/ part is its Output window that shows me all the command-line output, just as if I had opened a Terminal window and issued the appropriate yum command there. Even Synaptic does not do half as well showing me this output.

So--yes, I definitely recommend yumex as a comprehensive graphical front-end for yum, that does not suppress the information normally available on the command line, while at the same time making available a comprehensive, selectable list of installable packages /and even of repositories/.

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Temlakos