Re: 2GB limit on samba and nfs?

Guy Fraser wrote:
On Thu, 2005-28-04 at 13:56 -0500, Debbie Tropiano wrote:

Mike -

Did you ever get a resolution for this?  We're seeing similar problems
with two of our FC2 systems (2.6.6 kernel) interacting with each other
via NFS and/or with other systems (including Solaris).  Our testing
shows that it's only a problem on two (of our five FC2 systems) and one
of them has a 3ware RAID card (the Escalade, not the newer 9000 series)
so I'm not sure if that's a factor.

Could it be an NFS setting somewhere (the systems were installed from
the same media and should be setup very close to the same).

We're pretty baffled by this problem, so any advice would be appreciated.

I regularly send files over 3GB to my FC3 machine running Samba.
I am unable to send files over 4GB. For larger files I had been using an external Firewire drive formated with NTFS, but recently
got "Putty" for my Windows machine and am using the SCP client {pscp} to transfer the files now.

I think Windows (and hence Samba) shares are limited to 4GB because of the 32-bit file pointer issue (using an int rather than a off_t). On Linux, this limits programs to a 2GB file size, because it's a signed int (2^31 = 2G). On Windows, I think they treat it as an unsigned int (2^32 = 4G).

Not all programs suffer from this--it depends on how they were built.
Apache, for example, has this issue with its log files.  Why they
haven't fixed it yet, I don't know.  It ain't rocket science.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a   -
-                            big enough rock.                        -