Re: rpm and yum problems after fc2 to fc3 update

Peio Popov wrote:
~ I am having issues with rpm and yum after a upgrade from fc2 to fc3.
When I try to install a package with yum (version 2.2.0) I end up with
an error like:

Error: Requiring package openssl-devel-0.9 not in transaction set
~                            nor in rpmdb

Based on the advice in:
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html
I checked my rpm version
# rpm --version
RPM version 4.3.1

But when I did # rpm -qi rpm it showed me:
Version     : 4.3.2

And indeed the rpm executable file itself was dated
# ls -lh /bin/rpm
- -rwxr-xr-x  1 rpm rpm 76K Nov  1 21:54 /bin/rpm

I tried to replace it manually using --force but it did not help and it
gave me strange error messages that are attached at the end of the email.

Can anybody give me an idea what might the problem be and how I may fix it.

No idea how you got in this state, unless you've used rpm --force before, in which case your RPM database may be completely screwed.

Try downloading all of the rpm 4.3.2 packages that you're using (e.g. rpm, rpm-devel, rpm-python, rpm-libs, and also the latest popt) and upgrading them all together:

# rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs rpm*.rpm popt*.rpm

That should at least get your version of rpm up to date.

Paul.