Re: can I use yum to download to a holding place and then update othermachines with the dl files

Don't need to do that anymore.
Up2date is fairly smart these days, and if you setup a directory [CD,
share, etc] and tell up2date that you want it to look in this
directory for packages before downloading, you can update any packages
that you have on your CD, share, etc.
A better thing would be to have a DVD burner handy and mirror a yum
server for the updates and burn them to DVD once in a while.

Did you actually read the article? I outlined how to mirror the updates from a fast mirror. The rest (burn to DVD or CD) the OP seemed to already understand.

Thomas