Re: TO CHANGE SCREEN RESOLUTION-Thanks

----- Original Message ----- From: <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 4:37 AM
Subject: Re: TO CHANGE SCREEN RESOLUTION-Blew it agin, Sorry.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 03:23:59PM -0500, akonstam wrote:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 06:46:53AM -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> --- "Manivannan. M" <manikpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 07:11 -0500,
> > akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > the icons appear small.
> > only see 800 X 600 with
> > even worst.

> > > I suspect you are seeing only the resolutions that
> > are currently in
> > > the xorg.conf file. You could edit the file and
> > restart X. Or you
> > > could go to init level 3 and use
> > system-config-display to configure
> > > the xorg for the resolution you want. Then return
> > to init level 5.
> > > This assumes you have FC2 or FC3. If you have FC1
> > respond back for
> > > a slightly different answer.
> > > -- > > >
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Step by step guide on how to go about doing it would
> > be very helpfull. I
> > am using FC3 and a newbie. Please help !
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> As Aaron told you do a system-config-display from a
> terminal or you could also got to Program
> Launcher(Little Red Hat) -> Systems Settings ->
> Display and try to select the model of your monitor or
> select generic and try a higher resolution like 1024 x
> 768.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

I hate to be a "hard ass" but two things were said on this thread. One
is wrong the other is misleading.

1. After you change the resolution it is not enough to type
crl-alt-backspace. That restarts the gdm login screen but you need to
restart X. To do that you either can reboot or do the following:
type: ctl-alt-F1 to get a terminal window.
login as root.
go to init level 3 by typing init 3

<you will get some lines on the screen but eventually you will be able
to use the keyboard again>
then type: init 5    to restart X and go back to init level 5.
Well I blew it. Typing ctl-alt-bkspace does retart X and change the
resolution. Sorry for the bother.

2. Yes you can type su to become root but to become root with the full environment of root you need to type su - su means switch user so it can be used to become any other user (root by default), so if you know foo's passwd you can be logged in as foo by typing: su - foo --

May you live in uninteresting times.
-- Chinese proverb
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.
San Antonio, TX 78212-7200

telephone: (210)-999-7484
email:akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx

This is National Non-Dairy Creamer Week.