Re: Local repository

Sasa Stupar wrote:

--On 22. april 2005 12:16 +0200 Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 11:48 +0200, Sasa Stupar wrote:

Hi!

I am going to make local repository for fedora updates and extras and I
am  wondering what is the best tool for it: rsync or wget.

It depends on the remote server you are trying to mirror.

If it provides rsync-access, then rsync probably is the preferable
choice.

If it doesn't provide rsync-access, then other tools like wget, lftp,
curl or other tools (there are plenty of them, all have pros and cons)
are possible escapes.

Ralf

What I need is to also remove old versions automatically while transfering the new ones. I was playing with wget mirror function but it takes everything from the root dir on the remote server but I only need for fc3.
Looks like lftp could do this job or am I mistaken?

Sasa

Wget will only download whatever rpm packages that you still don't have;
I am using wget to download all the fc3 rpm package updates - wget first checks those updates that I have previously downloaded in a specific directory, and compares them against the repository rpm update packages, and will only download those new ones (which my rpm update directory still doesn't have yet), I am at work now and my fc3 box that takes care all the rpm update packages is at home, basically the command is like ;
wget -nd --mirror ftp.redhat.fedora\path\to\the\rpm\updates\*.rpm
-nd This will download rpm packages only and will no duplicate any directory in the source repository.
--mirror This will compare the rpm update packages existing in your system against the source depository rpm update packages, if newer version of the rpm update is available in the source repository, then wget will just download that one, and will ignor those you have already had.

I used this way to keep one of my systems to download all the rpm update packages, and my other machines can use them to do the rpm update instead of downloading same thing from Internet again.