Re: GRUB Error 15; File not found Solved

On Thu, 2005-21-04 at 15:10 +0100, John Austin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 07:50 -0400, David Niemi wrote:
> > I keep getting "Error 15 File not found" when trying to boot a new
> > install of FC3
> >
> > I set this system up:
> > hda - Smoothwall (hd0 in BIOS)
> > hdc - FC3        (hd1 in BIOS)
> >
> > On the FC3 I have installed grub to hdc1 with the root partition at
> > hdc3.  I change the boot disk order in the BIOS to move between FC3 and
> > Smoothwall.
> >
> > Grub specifies the FC3 boot at (hd1,0) and if I boot with the rescue
> > disk, enter the grub menu I the available hd options are 0 and 1.  While
> > in the grub prompt and I CAT (hd1,0)/grub/grub.conf it finds and outputs
> > the specified file. Comparing the grub.conf listed files to the files on
> > hd1,0 the file names are the same.
> >
> > The device.map seems OK, (hd0) hda and (hd1) hdc.
> Should not grub be installed on /dev/hdc and not /dev/hdc1 ?
> Does the grub prompt come up when you boot ????
> It is does then
> Does it find the kernel (and initrd ) when you
> grub>kernel (hd1,0)/vmTAB  ro root=/dev/hdc3
> grub>initrd (hd1,0)/initrdTAB

I re-installed and this time configured grup by switching the order of
the drives and ensuring that grub was installed on the MBR of hdc.  For
me the re-install was simpler than taking the time to figure out all of
the requisite commands and the trial and error.

Dave.